Government & Community Affairs Liaison
Government & Community Affairs Liaison
Location: Richmond, VA (Office located in Petersburg, VA)
Reports To: CMO with dotted line to Virginia Area President
- The Government & Community Affairs Liaison is responsible for the development and implementation of the division sales strategy for municipal contract extensions, retentions, and new business of municipal hauling and disposal sales opportunities, to ensure growth, retention, and quality of revenue in the division / area.
- The Government & Community Affairs Liaison also prospects, sells, and participates in account management and retention activities to ensure the long term targeted, profitable sales growth of municipal hauling and disposal business, as well as supports and manages the government affairs activities in the assigned division.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of all facets of sales strategy and implementation including market research, customer prospecting, sales promotion and customer retention strategies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Organizational expertise regarding event management and grassroots outreach.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks.
- Prospects, sells and proactively manages the business relationship within an assigned division for the municipal market.
- Assists with negotiating pricing and contracts, including contract extensions, as appropriate.
- Ensures that all approved contract terms are met.
- Attends bid conferences as necessary.
- Prepares and delivers responses to RFP’s and bids, as well as, sales presentations and follows up directly with key decision-makers.
- Develops and implements comprehensive account plans (sales, marketing and service programs/strategies) to achieve annual sales and profit objectives within the assigned territory.
- Involves the Area President and/or General Manager in sales and government relation’s activities as needed.
- Meets regularly with key decision-makers within assigned municipalities, state and federal agencies to enhance the company’s position and continuously bring value-added services to the relationship.
- Conducts on-site client reviews continually to ensure that quality service is effectively delivered, documents deficiencies and effectively recommends corrective action to operations team as appropriate.
- Attends industry trade shows and participates in local or state industry associations and trade groups.
- Must be politically astute in daily dealings with government entities and the general public.
- Prepares and maintains all sales documentation (Blue sheets, Sales Funnel, Client Profile, etc.) by populating and maintaining the CRM or like database system on a weekly basis.
- Attends council and/or board meetings as necessary.
- Prepares and delivers responses to customer issues and follows up directly with key decision-makers.
- Meets regularly with key decision-makers within assigned municipalities, state and federal agencies to enhance the Company's position and continuously bring value-added services to the franchise relationship.
- Conducts on-going Municipal Waste Assessments to ensure that quality service is effectively delivered, documents deficiencies and recommends corrective action to operations team as appropriate.
- Maintains an awareness of market dynamics and competitors' activity in areas where the company conducts business.
- Attend local non-profit, business and political events and activities to build relationships and good will for the Company.
- Meets with operations management as appropriate to coordinate on problem resolution and customer service efforts for assigned accounts/territory.
- Maintains awareness of political and social issues impacting customers and strategy.
- Follow and comply with all safety policies.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Sales or customer relationship experience.
- Governmental sales experience.
- Past service as an elected government official or lobbyist.
- Must have a flexible schedule to allow for morning, evening and weekend special event and official meetings attendance/participation.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
- Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
- Short- and long-term disability.
- Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
- 401(k) plan
Apply Online and view the detailed Benefits Overview at: www.MeridianWaste.com/Careers.
Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Meridian Waste is a company defined by its commitment to servicing its customers, caring for and engaging its employees, and generating financial value for its shareholders while delivering a clean and healthy community. The company’s core waste business is centered on residential, commercial, and industrial non-hazardous waste collection and disposal. Currently, the company operates in St. Louis, Mo., Richmond, Va., Blacksburg, Va., Augusta, Ga., Northeast Florida and Knoxville, Tenn., servicing more than 119,792 residential, commercial, industrial and governmental customers. In addition to a fleet of commercial, residential, and roll-off trucks, the company operates two transfer station, three recycling facilities, three municipal solid waste landfills and two C&D landfills in which 890,676 tons of waste are safely disposed annually. For more information, visit MeridianWaste.com.