Job Title: Assistant Controller
Reports To: Area Controller
The Assistant Controller works closely with the Area Controller in all financial and accounting tasks including accounting workflow, monthly close and reconciliation, budgeting data and reporting. This position is responsible for supporting most aspects of accounting management, assisting the formulation of internal controls and policies to comply with established best practices and GAAP accounting procedure and assisting with the preparation of financial statements and reports in compliance with official guidelines, timelines and requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with different accounting functional areas (invoice processing, billing, cash receipts, work order processing, credit analysis, receivable collections, month-end close, journal entries, statistical data, and payroll).
- Identifying and preventing accounting discrepancies including financial internal control processes across all business unit functional areas (sales, customer service, operations, HR, payroll, etc.).
- Ensures that all internal and external reporting deadlines are met.
- Manages reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts and reviews financial statements and supporting documentation to ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP) and company policies and procedures.
- Manage journal entries, invoices etc. and reconcile accounts for the monthly or annual closing
- Utilize accounting IT system to facilitate processes and maintain records
- Provides accounting and analytical support to all departments, as required, within the division. (General management, sales, operations, maintenance, customer service, etc.)
- Assists with credit and collection function maximizing division cash-flow.
- Supports and provides financial expertise to the Controller during the annual budget and interim forecasting process.
- Provides necessary support to financial audits including internal audits, external audits and peer reviews.
- Provides support and responds to information requests from Corporate (accounting, tax, treasury, IT, HR, sales, environmental compliance, legal, etc.) as well as region and area field financial management as required.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
- Prepare ad hoc reports as needed.
- Follow and comply with all safety policies.
- Additional duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/ and or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting and/or equivalent training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 2-3 years of related experience.
- Intacct experience preferred.
Specialized Knowledge Required – Including any required certificates, licenses, and registrations
- Must be able to work through others to accomplish goals and objectives.
- The ability to establish processes and procedures to ensure effective department workflow.
- The ability to track, measure and manage performance is required.
- Have MS Excel skills at anadvanced level.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work in high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently within a team environment.
- Ability to complete projects and assignments with minimal direction from leadership.
- An understanding of business unit operational functions and related needs and requirements and the abilitytoidentify issues, weigh options and provide effective counsel to support sound business decisions.
- Experience with Intacct and/or Soft-Pak a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Light lifting (20-25 pounds), office environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Travel: As required for position.