Job Title: Mechanic
Reports To: Shop Manager
Summary: The Mechanic is responsible for adhering to our level of commitment to safety and customer service. In this role, the successful candidate will perform repairs and maintenance work on waste pick-up tricks and support equipment in accordance with factory and industry standards, run diagnostics on trucks and work closely with other team members to meet company goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Determines vehicle condition by conducting inspections and diagnostic tests; identifying worn and damaged parts.
- Perform minor and major repairs on waste pick- up trucks and support equipment.
- Keeps equipment available for use by completing preventive maintenance schedules; installing component and part upgrades; controlling corrosion; completing winterization procedures.
- Conduct regular preventative maintenance on service trucks, including inspection, tire rotation and oil changes.
- Corrects vehicle deficiencies by removing, repairing, adjusting, overhauling, assembling, disassembling, and replacing major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, parts, or systems, such as, power and drive trains, electrical, air conditioning, fuel, emission, brake, steering, hydraulics; completes machine shop operations; making adjustments and alignments including bearing loads, gear tooth contact, valve mechanisms, governors, oil systems, control linkages, clutches, and traction units.
- Verifies vehicle performance by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
- Complies with federal and state vehicle requirements by testing engine, safety, and combustion control standards.
- Maintains vehicle appearance by cleaning, washing, and painting.
- Maintains accurate vehicle records by annotating services and repairs.
- Collaborate with repair team to diagnose problems with vehicles and plan repairs.
- Keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Contains costs by using warranty; evaluating service and parts options.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical and regulation publications.
- Enhances maintenance department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Follow and comply with all safety policies.
- Additional duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/ and or Experience:
- 2+ years’ experience as a Diesel Mechanic
- Ability to lift up to 100 pounds
- Excellent reading and writing skills
- ASE Diesel Certification an asset
Specialized Knowledge Required – Including any required certificates, licenses, and registrations
- ASE Diesel Certification preferred
- Must be able to multi-task and have an attention to detail.
- Must have the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Great attention to detail.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Light lifting (50-100 pounds), Shop Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Warehouse/ Shop Environment
Click here to review our 2020 Benefits Overview